- A proud Deaf bilingual native Auslan user (quite a mouthful, eh?), a mother to 4 non-deaf human kids and a large collection of furry & feathery kids.
- A bibliophile and a writer.
- Taught Auslan for over 30 years to people from 0 to 99 (yes, I like Lego).
- Degrees in Linguistics, Education, and Family History (I know – I am a geek!).
- A hunter and collector of both dead and living deaf people in Australia.
- Fun fact – I have over 15 deaf relatives in my family, spanning 4 generations.
MyAuslan Academy Aim:
MyAuslan Academy aims to provide an easy, accessible and innovative portal to learning Auslan, and an understanding of the culture it supports.
We offer courses designed for:
- Families and friends of deaf children or adults.
- Anyone who regularly encounters deaf people as customers/clients/patients etc in a range of occupations.
- Deaf people of any age who wants a deeper understanding of their language and culture.
- MyAuslan courses are all easily digestible chunks of learning. Choose the ones most relevant or interesting for you.
- Courses are offered as a blended format combining online self-paced modules, with small group “zoom-torials”, as well as work-books or worksheets. One on one tutoring is also available for an additional cost.
- For those who prefer you can purchase the online modules only.
- Each course is designed to take 2-3 hours in total. We recommend a minimum of 15 minutes per day.